Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Mayo!

When I woke up this morning, I couldn't help but have the Mexican Hat Dance song on auto play in my head!

That's right, it's Cinco de Mayo, which isn't Mexican Independence Day, but the American and Mexican celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War. Hmm...who knew ;)
We are celebrating this, as it gives a perfect excuse to have a party, to celebrate friendship and enjoy some good food and be silly.  That's right, silly! The world needs more simple fun. Yes, yes, I am well aware of all the things going on in the world and all the political hoopla, not that I choose to ignore it, but I have gone out and voiced my opinions by voting and have even written my fair share of letters; I simply choose to let go of what I cannot control.

Someone once said to me that they don't understand "blind faith" to which they used to describe me. Hmmm, my faith isn't blind. Isn't faith based on trust? I trust that things will be provided for me as I do provide for others, I trust that when I need help it will be there for me as I do help others, I trust myself to be able to handle what ever comes my way, good or bad, and the ability to get through it. The only thing I cannot get through, would be my own death, but then I look at that as just moving on to the next place and leaving whatever it was that was so bad behind =) 

But, how can you really believe that? Because I'm the mom and I said so, no really it's because I just do. Trust. I trust myself. I survived my childhood, to which we could all pick apart and twist into a poor me story, but really I had it good, a house, clothes, food, parents who attempted their best with what knowledge and skills they had, siblings whom I can enjoy life with...yadda yadda yadda. I had friends come and go, some are still there; I had the typical teenage jobs, a major car accident which broke several bones, went on to post secondary schooling, got married, work for myself,  had kids, divorced, ya know, life! I have managed to come through all those things, not without bumps, but with those bumps I have learned who I am and what I am capable of. I can fix a toilet and a sink, I can see my kids break bones and be sick, I've dealt with death in my own family. Wow, isn't it amazing that we are able to still live life??!! 

Yes, it really is! And that is what I aim to do. Celebrate LIFE! If you are alive, it is worth living! We control our own feelings and how we choose to deal with what comes our way. I put out positive and know positive will come my way. Now, how could a death be positive? Well, yes, it hurts to see someone you care about leave, it hurts to see those you care about deal with losing someone...but from that I learn to appreciate what I have, to love my kids and hug them no matter they just put paint on my brand new winter coat when they gave me a hug with their paint laden hands...I still have a child to hug; to keep in contact with my cousins and their kids, as we still have each other to remember the fun times with; to see those around us grow into good people albeit with heavy hearts, but they still DO! How could a divorce be positive?  I don't have to share the remote, KIDDING! Well, I manage to learn who I was and that I could do things. A sense of accomplishment is great piece of mind.

I have also learned I have had to accept what comes my way and there is no such thing as perfect. Case in point, the margarita cupcakes I wanted to make for today's Cinco de Mayo celebration. Found what looked like a yummo recipe and not full of things I couldn't readily find in my own kitchen. Whipped up the batter, and to my surprise, it tasted pretty yummy! Upon watching the cupcakes come out of the oven, my heart about sank...they were overflowing the papers and had flattened across the tin...what was I going to do? Well, frosting covers that up, right? Ah..well, you'd have to get the darn things out of the pan first, nope, all crumbly. FAIL! Wait, they taste yummy, they'd make a great crumbly topping on a bowl of ice cream! Woohoo, not such a fail. Round two, get out a mix and whip up new cupcakes, toss in a bit of lime zest and lime juice, bake, yep, look like cupcakes to me! Frost these puppies, well, the frosting was a bit runny, but have no fear, tastes great, kids don't care, and I happen to have some nice little "picks" I can put on top, no one knows any better! Yay, I'll drink to improvising.....and eight kids in the house tonight. Cheers!

Life is good, get on with it!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Cinco de Mayo!! Loved todays post. Hope your day is filled with maracas, margaritas, silly glasses and fun family memories ;)

    ReplyDelete