Thursday, May 12, 2011

Building a Team

Over the past few days, I've spoken about friendship and teams. Well, over the past few years I've learned about the importance of having friends in my life and having them participate as a team with me. I'm tweaking things as I go, some by choice and most by chance. Coming of age maybe? Nah, I'm not that old. ;)

A few years ago I was asked to be on our salon's volleyball team. Man, I hadn't played that since high school and was ok, but mainly played for fun. I do enjoy healthy competition, not a die hard as we know about my post on winning isn't everything, but I do believe in trying your best and learning to improve. Ok, so I was nervous. Wasn't sure about playing because I didn't want to be judged. Silly, here I was already judging myself without giving any of it a chance. I bucked up and agreed to be a "sub" for the team, of which I really only knew two of the girls and only because I worked with them.

I showed up on that first day *GULP* they're all looking at me. Yes, hi, I'm Stacey, yes, I do sorta know who you are, but only because we grew up in the same town. Ok, I'm on the court and a ball is coming my way...bump...oh, it went sideways. Oops sorry guys. Next bally, yep, sideways again. Sorry, it's been over x#  years since I've played. Oh wait, here comes the one with longish blonde hair, what's that you say? oh, sure I can straighten my arms out as I hit, thanks for that tip. Ball again my way and bump...yeah!!!  IT.WENT.OVER! Hey, I kinda like this game and my team. I took a chance. I did make many mistakes, as every single one of my teammates did, and at the end of that set of three games, I now had a few more smiling faces with me and a sense of belonging.  Now, over the years, this teams has changed. We were adding new players since some moved, had babies, became busy with other things in life, and even went to play on other teams. The big surprise came to me when this team totally fell a part. The captain chose to play with her winter league team and now, if there was to be a team I wanted to play on, it was up to ME. GULP! I have to pick? I have to ask? But who do I ask? Well, if no one had asked me, I wouldn't have been playing in the first place!

Just when you get comfortable where you are, life hands you a new challenge. Yep, time to put on the big girl panties, find a few gals that want to play and then ask for a sponsor. So, I had one of the gals from the year before still willing to be on my team. We asked another, and another, and yet another. Wow, these ladies want to play with me??  I had to ask for a sponsorship, and shirts...here goes, yep, got them. Really??  Could it be this easy??  By the end of the week, I had a team, with a sponsor and now couldn't be more excited to start the season. And what a season it was...I think we only won one set, the whole summer. But man, did we laugh, and laugh and laugh! We could come together, no matter the day we had had up to that point, get on that court, hit the ball and just have fun. I'd say it was my favorite season to date.

Here I sit in the same position this year. Have my roster put together, collected the fee's, found some sponsorship not by hard work, but by those who want to play on the team and offered up all sorts of ideas! I am so excited because this team, already is playing as a team! Wow, and we have several new faces, as only half our team is returning this year, but they are all ready and willing to be part of a team, my team. Don't we all want to be part of a team?  I can't say how happy and excited I am about this. I could care less if I won a single game, just knowing that I am with some amazing ladies that want to get out and have fun and make the most of Monday nights this summer, wow, I am the one who comes out on top! That is our first win, and thanks ladies, it's all because of you!

Life is good, get on with it!

2 comments:

  1. I am totally looking forward to another fun summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey! Love your post today! Wish I lived in Waseca and could join your fun-loving low-key team! I really like volleyball, but not really good at it. I once asked a gal at work who I knew played. She responded that they were pretty competitive so they wanted gals who had played in HS or college. BURN! Not the team for me anyway, but now I'm a bit gunshy!

    ReplyDelete