Sunday, October 9, 2011

Children

For a long time it has really bothered me that there are parents out there that constantly complain about their kids. They come across as though their kids are such a burden to them rather than a blessing. That it as if these children are the root of their disdain towards life and the position they are currently in, it's called parenting. Well, let me bring you to my small town....maybe then these complainers will have a new outlook on their kids.

Our town was hit with yet another tragic loss this past weekend, a young girl was mercilessly hit by a semi...and that semi was not forgiving.  The class of 2013 here in Small Town, USA lost yet another classmate...the second in two years. Now there is another family with an empty chair at the dinner table, classmates with an empty desk, neighbors who won't hear the laughter of this bright young lady any more. Dancing with Jesus she is.

We often look at others and think "Oh, that poor family, so glad it wasn't ours."  But, what if it were? Would you feel horrible for yelling at your child yesterday when she spilled a whole gallon of milk while trying to get her own cereal because you were just trying to sleep in a little? Would you want to take back yelling at your son for him not taking the garbage out or emptying the dishwasher since you had told him three times earlier that day?  What about that messy room, the wrong shirt, that stain on the carpet, the broken window...would any of that matter? I think not.

None of that little stuff matters; the mountains of laundry, dishes, scattered toys, the piles of papers from school, squabbling siblings, none of it, for it means we have our children to hold and love, a life to share with them.

Have you ever thought that maybe there is someone out there that would have loved to have had children, but medically couldn't? That there is a mom out there but because you never see her with a child it doesn't mean she didn't carry one within her only to either miscarry or for whatever reason gave her baby up for adoption?  That lady at your child's school that may seem a little "stuck up" may have a terminally ill child at home and maybe that couple next door that seems to keep to themselves lost a child to an illness or like so many it seems in the town I reside in, to a tragic accident? But a lot of us are blessed with a child, something we can take for granted all too easily.

I am often approached by others and told, "Man, you sure do a lot with your kids!"  Yes, yes I do. I had children by choice, I want them to feel part of my life, not like they are forcing me to give up part of my life to "raise" them. I'll have plenty of time to travel, host girls nights, enjoy couple time, have nice things and a clean house when they grow up (all too quickly), but for now I want to enjoy every.single.minute.of.life.with.them. I cannot protect them from everything or control every aspect of their lives, nor should I, but I do want to create tons of memories with them and help them learn all that life has to offer, mainly to live it LOUD! (thanks Jacob)  I have learned all too well that life is fragile, tomorrow is never promised to us.  I myself was in a bad car accident, lost a friend in an accident the very next night,  I most recently lost a 14yr old cousin just two years ago...I am part of "that" family. If you have never personally known anyone who has gone through this, I am happy you haven't had to deal with it. I don't wish it upon anyone, it is not a badge of honor.

I ask all of you, please, hug your kids tighter, take a moment to really think about what is really upsetting, tell your kids and family how much you love them and they mean to you. Think about how it sounds when you gripe about your kids...some parent out there only wishes they had their child to clean up after.  I often smile at the cranberry colored paint that stains my winter coat...I had just had it for three days when my youngest came to give me a hug when I walked in the door after work and he got it on this coat...I did not care that he did it, it actually made me cry because just the week before me, a classmate of mine lost her young son to an illness, she'll never ever have another of his handprints, even if on a new coat. Thank you Trae for letting me see that this was a blessing and nothing to be angered at  =)

Children ARE blessings, not promised to us, but entrusted to our care. They are worth more than any prized possession in the world and can never be replaced. Enjoy them, spend time with them and just simply love them.

Life is good, get on with it, live it LOUD!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you to Ashley Caudle I just had to peak @ this & I have to say I loved your msge! I pray that this will pull @ some mommy's heart...even if just one, there are sooo/too many children out there that don't know this kind of love! my mom always tells me that my girls are so blessed to havea stay @ home mommy that loves them so much but I always find myself correcting her... I AM SO BLESSED BY THEM!
    Thank you again Stacy! This is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete