Monday, April 2, 2012

Respecting Time

And they're off....yes, I love to hear that at the beginning of any race. Yesterday was my first race of this year and it feels great to have that accomplished. I'm always re motivated this time of year to keep up with my running and health changes. I am also noticing that TIME is racing us at an ever quickening pace. Where is this year going in such a hurry?

As I have stated before, I am a planner, and I am trying to live more in the now so I can fully enjoy each day for all it's worth. I was recently reminded once again that time is not ours to behold and you just never know when it may be your last day. We really do need to live each day mindfully and joyfully.

People do bring me great joy. I love meeting new people, staying connected to all those I've met along my life journey and learning from each and every one of you. I think it's great that we all have so much to add to each other's life. Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't people whom I limit myself to due to differences in idea's or that I may not fit into other's ideals either. Just knowing that we all have a purpose.

That brings up the fact of respect. I think it is quickly becoming a lost art. I had to explain this to my grandmother, whom I love dearly and will miss once she no longer is on this earth to antagonize me, but she really didn't understand respect. She feels it is just something one is deserving of and that one would just agree and do for you out of respect. Um, NO....to me respect is not agreeing, but being mature enough to accept another opinion.  Keeping an open mind to an other's idea's or ways, understanding that there is a difference, willing to hear the other idea. She then asked me why I take the other side on things, to which I explained it isn't that I take the other side, but I form my own idea's based on what works for me and it often happens to be different than hers, (thank goodness). I also told her when I question how she forms her opinions, it isn't meant as a challenge to her idea's but a wanting to understand how she came to that opinion for herself. OK, enough on my grandmother, that is a whole other post in itself ;)

Along the lines of respect is something I am coming to terms with with time. I am now respecting how quick it goes, how not to miss any opportunity to learn, change or challenge myself. I remember the days when my kids were itty bitties, now they are those early teens and I cannot believe how soon they will no longer be around all the time. I see how we think our loved ones will live forever, yet I know how quickly that can change, and that time we have with them should be enjoyed NOW! We should also take time to tell those whom are important to us how we feel about them, so we don't wish we had more time to do so.

We have become such a quick fix, instant gratification society, and I don't mean that for living in the now, as I do respect that some things do take time.  I see people who are just so busy racing off to the next big quest, to make more money, to buy more things...yet here is time which I think we can all agree on that we never have enough of and no matter how much we try we cannot ever get back and is something money cannot buy. Take that time today, be that person you want to be now, don't wait, don't put off, just make peace with the now and enjoy what is present, for as the saying goes, tomorrow is not promised.

Life is good, get on with it, LIVE IT LOUD!

No comments:

Post a Comment